15 April 2011

The Shadow's Shadow

While Jaz Hawk sat in her fancy apartment, I ran out into the night. I was kind of laughing at Jaz's face, but a big part of me was really disappointed. I thought her better than that; I thought her memory acute and above average.

I thought she would have remembered me.

It hasn't been that long since I last saw her. Not really. I have changed a lot, but, you see, we were both recruited by the government about four years ago. That would have made Jaz only seventeen; I was nineteen. We both lived in the same town, but we went to different schools, and before we were recruited we had never seen each other.

When the agents first came to me, I would have to say I was scared witless. I thought for sure they were going to lock me up--for reasons unknown to me--but they just wanted to talk. To a teenage college student, though, 'just talk' means 'get you in trouble.' I freaked and ran.

Needless to say, they caught me within a couple minutes. I mean, you can only sneak out the bathroom window and run off if your window is NOT fifty feet off the ground with nothing to break your fall except the ground. So yeah, they got me. I don't know why they still wanted me after that ridiculous stunt...I was such an idiot at that age. Still kind of am, I suppose.

They 'talked' to me, though. They actually talked. They recruited me, and within a day I was on my way to their headquarters in Nowhere, I-can't-tell-you-where. There, I met Jaz, who was in the same situation I was. We were both treated very well, and given the best training anyone could ask for.

Within three years, we became some of the top operatives our age. We also became like brother and sister in those three years. But then Jaz turned twenty.

That's when Jaz decided she wanted to follow a different path. That's when the agency literally went down in flames, and that's when we found out that only someone on the inside could kill someone on the inside.

That's when I was left holding my dead boss while Jaz ran away from the sunset, seeking something more.

No comments:

Post a Comment